Choosing Your Own Fate
The Arab prisoner in “The Guest,” by Albert Camus was the most interesting character because he chose a path that normally other prisoners would not, leading to ultimate death. If I were given the choice to run free from captivity or to turn myself in for exile, I would’ve chosen the latter. However, many people think differently, and this is evident in the outcome from our actions. Personal action is what defines a person’s character. Unfortunately, first impressions of people usually are not enough evidence to define a person’s character. Daru, the school teacher, had a first impression of the Arab prisoner which was a feeling of disgust when the gendarme Balducci told Daru the Arab was a murderer. But what Daru sees in the Arab was a human being, not just a person bound for imprisonment. Also, through the story, it was not confirmed that the Arab was a murderer at all.
The Arab had many opportunities to run away in the night while Daru pretended to be asleep. However, the Arab chose to stay by Daru as a dutiful prisoner. Perhaps because Daru treated him with respect, dignity, and like a guest instead of a prisoner, the Arab returned the same respect. Daru had even slept naked at night, knowing the Arab was in his presence, and that he could dangerous since Daru was told that the Arab had murdered his own cousin.
What was the most shocking was when the Arab was given money along with instructions of two separate paths that would ultimately lead to his freedom or his death. Why did the Arab choose death? I think that if Daru had not shown him the kindness that he had, the Arab would have run away already. However, I think the Arab may have even felt obligated to choose that destiny because he was respectful, and noble. I believe that Daru did not make the decision for him because he did not want the responsibility, or get into trouble with the government. In the end, I believe the Arab left Daru with a better understanding and respect for the Arab.
No comments:
Post a Comment